Should Your Company Hire an In-House Chargeback Analyst or Outsource to a Professional?
However, only a highly trained chargeback specialist can ensure a successful management system.
The Role of a Chargeback Specialist
If not properly managed, chargebacks can threaten a business’s ability to process credit card transactions. If a business experiences excessive chargeback levels, the acquiring bank could simply terminate the merchant account. An eCommerce merchant can’t survive without the ability to process credit card payments.
Additionally, high-dollar chargebacks, merchant account reserves, and chargeback fees can create serious cash flow issues.
Effective chargeback management can only be executed through a chargeback specialist. Some of the responsibilities of a chargeback specialist include:
- Carefully reviewing the policies and regulations set forth by the card networks. Both Visa and Mastercard have highly detailed manuals that outline the guidelines merchants must follow. These manuals, filled with complex industry terminology, are regularly updated. A chargeback analyst is tasked with reviewing these updates and implementing the necessary changes.
- Reviewing the business’s policies and practices. A great portion of chargebacks are caused by merchant error. A chargeback specialist can help identify the actions causing transaction disputes.
- Identifying and preventing potential fraud. Fraud detection and prevention requires an intelligent and aggressive approach. A chargeback analyst will need to validate suspicious activity and personally review transactions flagged as fraud to avoid false positives (and revenue loss).
- Analyzing risk. New fraud techniques are constantly emerging. A chargeback specialist must be able to identify potential risks before they become liabilities and create innovative strategies to protect the business.
- Combatting chargeback fraud. This unique threat is something most merchants are ill-equipped to deal with. Disputing illegitimate chargebacks should be a top priority.
- Disputing chargebacks. The most effective chargeback disputes are those crafted with human intelligence. A chargeback specialist will devise a personalized response to each chargeback.
- Ensuring sustainable growth. A chargeback specialist will identify the best practices that ensure maximum profitability with minimal risk.
If you’ve determined your business needs a structured approach to chargeback management, the first task is determining who will oversee chargeback issues when they arise. Should your business appoint an in-house chargeback analyst or will the job be outsourced?
The Pros and Cons of an In-House Chargeback Analyst
Because chargebacks create financial distress for the business, many merchants are hesitant to outsource the task. The extra expense doesn’t seem practical.
If you find yourself in this position—struggling with cash flow issues—it is possible that you are only reviewing the pros of hiring an in-house chargeback analyst. However, you should consider both sides of the coin.
|Pros of DIY Chargeback Management||Cons of DIY Chargeback Management|
Outsourcing: A More Profitable Option
Studies show in-house chargeback specialists are only capable of preventing and disputing a small percentage of chargebacks. They can manage the “low hanging fruit.”
However, professional chargeback managers (like Chargebacks911®) have a much higher success rate. Outsourcing the task to a chargeback specialist means the merchant is able to successfully prevent and dispute the low hanging fruit plus prevail in most challenging situations.
Additionally, a truly professional chargeback manager will provide a return on your investment (Chargebacks911® guarantees ROI). When it’s all said and done, there might not be much to show for the vast amount of resources used by an in-house chargeback analyst.
If the idea of completely outsourcing to a chargeback specialist makes you feel less in control of your business, perhaps a gradual approach is more palatable.
Options for Outsourcing to a Chargeback Specialist
There are various options for outsourcing the task of chargeback management. As your confidence in a chargeback specialist grows or your business expands (you are experiencing new threats), you’ll want to consider the pertinent options. Below are several levels of commitment.
Outsource Level: Minimal
Would an on-demand system help ease the process of outsourcing to a chargeback manager? It’s possible to manage the bulk of your chargeback issues in-house, but get help from a professional when you need it.
|What’s Included||Who Can Benefit|
|An on-demand management solution means you can take advantage of the services you need—and nothing else.||This option is best for merchants who aren’t ready to fully outsource their chargeback management, but need help on occasion.|
Interested in outsourcing to a chargeback specialist to receive on-demand assitance?
Outsource Level: Moderate
This is another great option for merchants who are interested in maintaining some control.
|What’s Included||Who Can Benefit|
|An automated solution with risk management intelligence to help recover losses in uncomplicated disputes.||This option is best for merchants with a robust quality control department to ensure merchant error is not the primary culprit of chargebacks.|
Interested in outsourcing to a chargeback specialist to receive self-service solutions?
Outsource Level: Complete
Merchants who are interested in winning as many chargeback disputes as possible or reducing their chargeback ratio need a full-service solution.
Fully outsourcing the task of chargeback management ensures the longevity of the business by reducing risk, retaining revenue, and recoupling losses. A turnkey solution with end-to-end accountability and guaranteed ROI offers the best value to merchants.
|What’s Included||Who Can Benefit|
|A turnkey solution manages everything from prevention to disputes. Merchants can rest assured knowing a fully customized approach will meet the needs of their business while ensuring the highest win-rate possible.||This option is best for merchants who are considered “high risk” or want to retain as much revenue as possible. This outsourced solution offers the most ROI.|
Interested in outsourcing to a chargeback specialist to receive full-service solutions?
Who will be Your Business’s Chargeback Analyst?
Will you hire a chargeback analyst to work within your company or will you rely on the expertise of a professional?
If you are still unsure about the best approach for your business, let us conduct a free, no-obligation analysis. We’ll determine how much more you could earn by partnering with Chargebacks911® as your chargeback specialist. You really have nothing to lose; if we can’t improve your bottom line, we won’t recommend our services.