Visa Chargeback Reason Code 30
Reason Code 30: Services Not Provided or Merchandise Not Received
A reason code is assigned to each chargeback issued. It describes exactly why the dispute was filed. Since all the card networks have their own set of reason codes, keeping track of each one, and the best way to prevent them, is challenging.
What is Reason Code 30?
Chargeback reason code 30 is applicable when customers don’t receive the goods or services purchased. It can also be applied to instances in which customers cancel their purchases because they haven’t arrived in the agreed upon time.
Possible Merchant Mistakes
Because a low chargeback-to-transaction ratio is a crucial point to maintaining your merchant account, avoiding chargebacks is important. Therefore, it’s important to understand the possible merchant errors that commonly lead to a reason code 30 chargeback.
- You didn’t ship the merchandise or provide the service as agreed upon.
- You charged the customer’s card a significant amount of time before shipping the item.
- You shipped the purchased items later than you promised.
- You didn’t clearly state the anticipated ship date and arrival date for the purchase.
- You didn’t make the product available for pick-up when you claimed it would be ready.
- The services were rendered late.
Find Out How Much You Could Be Saving
Other providers copy our promises, but they can’t duplicate our results. Chargebacks911 has the highest win rates and the only ROI Guarantee in the industry. If we can’t increase your bottom line, then we won’t ask for your business.Calculate ROI
Merchant Rights and Limitations for Reason Code 30
Thankfully, there are some limitations to the chargebacks filed under reason code 30. Ultimately your rights and limitations are:
- The cardholder has to provide the processor with a statement ensuring that there was an attempt to resolve the dispute with the merchant.
- The cash-back part of a cash-back transaction is invalid in a chargeback.
- If the merchandise arrives late, the customer is required to attempt to return it and has to wait 10 days before initiating a chargeback request.
- The processing time limit is 120 days from one of the following: the day the transaction was posted, a specified delivery date, 30 days from posting when there was no agreed upon delivery date, or the date the merchandise arrived (if it was late).
Preventing Chargeback Reason Code 30 Claims
No matter how carefully you organize your business, there will always be people who attempt to take advantage of the system. However, there are certain steps you can take to try to minimize the damage:
- Always provide a specific ship date and delivery date.
- Don’t process payment prior to shipping.
- If a package is going to be late, send a notification and let the customer decide if the new date is acceptable or if the transaction should be canceled.
- Consider requiring a signed delivery confirmation. This will be a hassle for the customer, but could save you a lot of money in chargeback fees. An alternative is to only demand a signature for larger transactions.
Disputing Reason Code 30
Despite your best attempts, some chargebacks will slip through the cracks. Here are some tips to make the representment process more successful.
- If the merchandise was delivered, send proof to the acquirer (a delivery receipt or the carrier’s delivery confirmation).
- If the specified delivery date hasn’t passed, notify the acquirer.
- If services were rendered, shipment was delivered, or products were made available for pick-up, provide the proper documentation to prove your case. This is why record keeping is an essential business practice.
It is better to take a proactive stance in the realm of chargebacks than a wait-and-see attitude. Making sure that all your instructions are clear and that delivery dates are specified can save you a world of hurt.
Chargebacks911™ can help your business manage all aspects of Visa’s chargeback reason code 30–from prevention to representment. Contact us today for a free ROI analysis to learn how much more you could save by properly managing this reason code and all the others.
Prevent Chargebacks. Fight Fraud. Recover Revenue.
Find out how much more you can earn by preventing and disputing chargebacks.